Trump’s representative said that the former president has nothing to do with the gaps in the White House records.
The Washington Post and CBS reported about an unexplained gap of more than seven hours in the recording of telephone conversations of former President Donald Trump on the day of the attack on the Capitol, which occurred on January 6, 2021.
Records submitted to the special committee of the House of Representatives of the U.S. Congress to investigate the attack show that from 11:17 am to 6:54 pm, President Trump did not talk to anyone on the phone, while his supporters rioted in the Capitol, trying to prevent lawmakers from confirming Trump’s defeat in the 2020 elections.
According to journalists, 11 pages of records handed over to lawmakers showed that Trump talked on the phone with at least 8 people before the above break and with 11 interlocutors after.
A spokesman for the House Select Committee declined to comment. A Trump spokesman said the former president had nothing to do with the recordings, and suggested that all of his phone calls had been recorded and saved.
Extensive reports also mention Trump’s numerous conversations on January 6 with allies and lawmakers. This prompted investigators to find out whether he communicated that day through unofficial communication channels or using a disposable phone, journalists report, citing two people familiar with the Congressional investigation.
In his statement, Trump said: “I have no idea what a disposable phone is, as far as I know, I’ve never even heard of this term.”
House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy last year described a conversation with Trump during the Capitol riots, saying he called on the president to recall his supporters and admit defeat.
On Monday, the House of Representatives commission voted unanimously to file charges of “contempt of Congress” against Peter Navarro, a former Trump adviser, and Daniel Scavino, who was Trump’s deputy chief of staff.