The Reagan Foundation opposed the complete release of the shooter of the 40th U.S. president

John Hinckley attempted to assassinate U.S. President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981, at the entrance to the Hilton Hotel in Washington.

The Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation spoke out on Monday against the full release of John Hinckley, who attempted the 40th president of the United States in 1981. Commenting on the decision of the federal judge of the Metropolitan District of Columbia, Paul Friedman, to lift all judicial restrictions from Hinckley from June 2022, the foundation said that the man still poses a danger to others.

Representatives of the organization stressed that they are “saddened by the decision to release John Hinckley without any conditions.” “We believe that John Hinckley still poses a threat to others, and we strongly oppose his release. We hope that the Ministry of Justice will file a complaint to the court, as a result of which this decision will be canceled,” the fund added.

Earlier, the U.S. Department of Justice supported the proposal to stop the court’s supervision of 66-year-old Hinckley, who left the state psychiatric hospital in 2016, he was granted parole. He returned home to Williamsburg (Virginia), but Hinckley was forbidden to communicate with the press; he also needed a special permit to register in social networks. It was forbidden to drink alcohol, and other restrictions were prescribed.

Hinckley attempted to assassinate U.S. President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981, at the entrance to the Hilton Hotel in Washington. He fired six shots, and one of the bullets ricocheted into the president’s chest. The president’s press secretary, James Brady, was seriously injured at the time and a Secret Service officer and a police officer.

At the trial in 1982, Hinckley was charged with 13 counts. As a result, he was declared insane at the time of the attempt and transferred to a psychiatric hospital – St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington. Since 1999, he has been allowed to leave the hospital under supervision to meet with relatives, and in 2003, the regime of his detention was again relaxed. During his stay outside the hospital, he was obliged to refrain from communicating with journalists; his movements were periodically monitored by agents of the U.S. Secret Service, responsible for the security of top officials of the state.

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Author: Ivan Maltsev
The study of political and social problems of different countries of the world. Analysis of large companies on the world market. Observing world leaders in the political arena.
Function: Chief-Editor
Ivan Maltsev

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: