The United States aims to continue the fight against the terrorist group “Islamic State – Wilayat Khorasan” in Afghanistan, despite the erroneous drone strike on Kabul, which killed civilians, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said.
Earlier, the Pentagon, following the investigation results, recognized the erroneous drone strike on Kabul at the end of August. The head of the department, Lloyd Austin, apologized for the “mistake.”
“Of course, the president’s intention to fight IS – Wilayat Khorasan has not changed,” Psaki said during a briefing.
She said that Biden was informed on Friday morning about the erroneous U.S. drone strike on Kabul. The spokeswoman noted that the U.S. president supports the investigation of the incident.
Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby previously stated that the U.S. military does not doubt the correctness of the airstrike on the car in Kabul. At the same time, the military did not comment on reports of many civilian casualties, referring to the need to complete internal checks.